You have been tasked with identifying health hazards associated with a production line at a manufacturing facility.
Employees at the beginning of the line use a solvent to clean the surface of medium-size auto parts, and then they place the parts on a moving line. As the parts move along the line, an employee sprays them with a powder coating, and the parts move through an oven. Another employee removes the parts from the line and places them in slots in a cart for transporting to shipping.
You have been provided safety data sheets for the solvent used for cleaning the parts (click here to access) and the powder coating that is used (click here to access). Use the JHA form to identify the potential health hazards associated with the process. Click here to access the Basic Job Hazard Analysis form. You will use the Basic Hazard Analysis form to enter your responses and to answer the four questions listed below. Please upload this completed document to your instructor for grading.
Prepare a two-page homework assignment summarizing your health hazard analysis and answer these questions from the Basic Job Hazard Analysis form.
- What are the health hazards associated with the operation?
- What are the primary exposure routes associated with each health hazard?
- Are there any potential acute or chronic health effects for any of the health hazards you identified?
- Are special hazards associated with any of the health hazards?
You may use the safety data sheets provided above, information from the OSHA or NIOSH websites, or academic references from the Internet to answer the questions. Citations are not required for this homework assignment; however you may want to use them in order to answer the questions.
Fire prevention and code enforcement
Review the following NIST technical note and video below:
National Institute of Standards and Technology. (2014). Simulation of an attic fire in a wood frame residential structure – Chicago, IL (NIST Technical Note 1838). Retrieved from http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/
National Institute of Standards and Technology. (2014, December 2). Simulation of an attic fire in a wood frame residential structure—Chicago [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?
Be sure to include the following in your case study:
- Examine the applicable building codes for this structure.
- How were they developed?
- Were they developed locally?
- Were they modified or adopted?
- If modified, how so?
- How were they developed?
- Analyze the tests conducted on materials found in the structure.
- What types of materials were used in the construction of the house?
- What were the results?
- What were the lessons learned?
Your case study response should be two to four pages in length and follow APA guidelines. Make sure to use the textbook and at least one additional scholarly reference from the CSU Online Library to support your response.