Assignment 4: Data-Hiding Techniques Due Week 8 and worth 60 points
Suppose you are the Chief Security Officer for a financial institution. Someone on your information security staff has informed you that recent Web content filters have shown an end user who has been visiting sites dedicated to alternate data stream (ADS) and steganography hiding techniques. She is interested in what the end user may be doing and comes to you for some explanation on these techniques.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Explain how a user could utilize ADS to hide data and explain other destructive uses which exist for ADS.
- Determine how rootkits can be used as an alternative for data hiding and explicate why they can be used for this purpose.
- Describe the processes and tools used by an investigator in determining whether signs of steganography are present in a given situation.
- Select two (2) tools that could be used for steganography and explain how these tools can help someone hide data from others.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify the role of computer forensics in responding to crimes and solving business challenges.
- Outline system forensics issues, laws, and skills.
- Develop plans that collect evidence in network and email environments.
- Describe the constraints on digital forensic investigations.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in computer forensics.
- Write clearly and concisely about computer forensics topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.