Review the content from the assigned chapter reading in the textbook on pages 59â€“61.
In 1973, the United Nations adopted a treaty, the Prevention and Punishment of Crimes Against Internationally Protected Persons, including Diplomatic Agents. In 2012, insurgents attacked U.S. diplomatic facilities in Benghazi, Libya, and killed the U.S. Ambassador and several Central Intelligence Agency security contractors.
For this assignment, review the aforementioned incident, and conduct research on this incident. Provide a minimum of two scholarly references to support your analysis. Complete the following tasks:
- Examine the purpose of the treaty.
- Describe the attack on the U.S. diplomatic facilities.
- As a partner in the treaty, assess whether the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and other participating countries adequately responded to the attack on the U.S. diplomatic facilities.
- In your opinion, did the intelligence community recognize the shortcomings of the international treaty?
- After the Benghazi attack, what actions did the U.S. federal government take to protect U.S. diplomatic agents and facilities?
Your assignment should be at least two pages in length, not including the title and reference pages. Use APA formatting when writing your responses. All sources used, including the textbook, must be referenced, and quoted or paraphrased material must have accompanying in-text citations.