You received the message below from your manager. Respond in a memo format.
“As we look to the future, our organization is considering updating its code of ethics to provide better ethical guidelines for our employees. Our department has been tasked with this effort. So we do not overlook any major issues, it seems reasonable to review some existing codes. I am tasking you with the initial review and with formulating some initial recommendations.
In terms of source information, the last time we reviewed any codes of ethics, we found collections of them at the links the links provided below. These are for all kinds of organizations.
1. The Center for the Study of Ethics in the Professions (http://ethics.iit.edu/research/codes-ethics-collection)
2. Society of Professional Journalists (http://www.spj.org/ethicscode-other.asp)
3. Professional Codes of Ethics for Librarians (http://www.ifla.org/faife/professional-codes-of-ethics-for-librarians)
4. EthicNet (http://ethicnet.uta.fi/)
5. Online Ethics Center for Engineering and Science, National Academy of Engineering (http://www.onlineethics.org/CMS/profpractice/ethcodes.aspx)
6. Codes of Conduct from Around the World, Virginia Tech University (http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs3604/lib/WorldCodes/WorldCodes.html)
7. Center for Applied Ethics, University of British Columbia (http://www.ethicsweb.ca/resources/professional/codes-of-ethics.html)
Check out some of these sources. Select a code of ethics from three different organizations. These organizations should be from different industries – industries that you think might deal with some of the same ethical issues as our firm does.
I will want to know what three codes of ethics you selected and why.
Next, I will want to know some important ways in which these codes are similar and some important ways in which these codes are different.
Finally, I want you to recommend two specific issues that you think would be critical for our organization to consider incorporating or updating in our own code of ethics, particularly as we look to the future. Remember to justify your recommendation.”