Paper 1 – Historical Timeline Paper
Review the list of major historical events listed below and select one to examine for this assignment.
- The Pure Food and Drug Act
- The Harrison Act
- End of Prohibition
- The Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act
Write a 1,250-word paper about the selected historical event. Include the following in your presentation:
- A description of the event
- The history of the law(s) related to the drug
- The impact of the drug on society to include how the legal status of the drug has impacted society
- A description of how an understanding of the history and legality of the drug from the event has impacted the counseling profession
- A minimum of ten scholarly references
Paper 2 – Addictions Paper
Topic 1: Addiction Worksheet
Part One Directions: Provide short answers of 250-350 words each for the following questions/statements. Include at least two scholarly resources beyond the course textbook in each of your responses and list as a reference at the bottom of the worksheet.
1) What are the pharmacological and physiological effects of substance use?
2) Select two substances from the following and describe at least two pharmacological and physiological effect of each (250-350 words each)
- Another DSM Substance Use Disorder of your choice
3)What is a process addiction? What is a substance use disorder? How are the two similar and how are they different? How would you establish a treatment relationship to work with a client with substance use disorder or process addiction?
4) Briefly explain the history of substance abuse treatment in the United States over the past 100 years. How did the early practices differ from what is being done today? Briefly describe the development of multidisciplinary teams in regards to the treatment of addictions
- Part Two Directions: It is widely understood that there is a biopsychosocial model of addiction. Within the biopsychosocial model, there are multiple psychological theories and biological theories. Select one psychological theory of addiction and one biological theory of addiction. Complete the table below by comparing and contrasting the selected biological and psychological theories of addiction.
Theory and Brief Description
[Insert psychological theory of addiction here]
[Insert biological theory of addiction here]
Total for all should be 3000 words minimum for full credit.